In this article we will explore the document management software development process and how much this project might cost for your company. We also review the resources and the timeline needed for the DMS software. So, enjoy!
Moving from papers to digital assets is no longer an innovation; it is a path all organizations should follow to be successful. The need to switch to digital solution results from maintaining and managing reports: papers are harder to browse, take more time to process, plus they need a lot of space for physical storage. Even with the best organization, it is still very time-consuming and each action requires human participation depending on the operation. Opting for digitalization is more environmentally friendly. However, handling digital files can be challenging. The electronic document management system is an important part of the enterprise business intelligence and automation system part and it solves a problem of dematerialization: the tracking of digital data.
List of The Contents:
- Typical features of the document management software
- Technologies used in the document management solution development
- Main modules of the DMS software system
- Document management system cost estimates
According to the research by GMI DMS software market may hit $6bn in 2024. Today organizations use an increasing number of files, and it becomes essential to have the right solution to manage them and to make collaboration among employees easier. When dealing with a huge volume of data, it is crucial to perform a quick search, make a change and share with the proper people. The more time the companies spend on these tasks, the less productive they are. That’s why each company should possess a record of each change made by the different contributors and restore any version at any time.
TYPICAL FEATURES OF THE DOCUMENT MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
Document Management System should address the collaboration challenges, so in this section, we will review the critical features of a DMS software.
- Optical character recognition: The electronic document management system should have a feature that allows character detection from an image and scanned files. This option is especially needed during research and papers validation. Check our article about the options available for the screen scraping of the other software and the paper data recognition approaches to learn more about that.
- Storage: An electronic document management system should allow users to store their files and digital information. It should offer a central location where everyone in the organization can retrieve data if they need it. Now information is presented in several different forms and formats. That’s why during the document management software development process you should build centralized storage with the capability of digital records such as text, image, video, etc. Online document management solutions should be a standard and the storage solutions should be accessed anywhere as long as there is an Internet connection.
- Sharing: Records are created and updated so that the company can share them with the right people within the organization or with the organization’s partners. And such document management software development solutions make the sharing process easier. The DMS software should also facilitate access to the list of people eligible for sharing through integration with the company’s LDAP.
- Security: document management system solutions should provide a high level of security especially for sensitive information including any public folders and files. The organization should enhance the protection level, as anyone can have access to data. Algorithms, implemented during the document management software development, provide the information of who had entered the data, and that’s why the alerts should be triggered anytime illegal access is made.
- Versioning: When we refer to collaboration, it implies that the electronic record has a different state every time someone is editing the file within an organization. It is necessary to enable versioning: every edit will lead to a new version, and more importantly, the document management system application should allow access to a revised version all the time.
- Research: researching for a file or within files should be easy with assets programs. Without this feature, looking for a specific file or record can be very time-consuming. Not knowing where to search and how to conduct custom research is a huge challenge. The document management system should address this problem as well. Research should be more straightforward and custom: by keywords for assets, research for specific words or phrases within a document.
- Mobile compatibility: a mobile device is now part of the standard work tool; basic operations have to be made with a mobile device. The application should offer mobile compatibility so that everyone could access the reports anywhere and anytime.
Now that we have identified features of DMS let’s see what technologies are used for the document management software development and implementation.
WHAT TECHNOLOGIES ARE USED FOR DOCUMENT MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT?
Regarding the technical aspect of DMS development, these are the leading technologies to take into account:
- Programming languages: The choice of the technologies will depend mainly on the document management software development team skills and habits and especially on technologies that are often used by the organization to develop its applications. However, the following technologies are the most commonly used while developing DMS software:
- .NET Framework(C#): when developing an application from scratch, .NET is a powerful technology that can be used to develop reliable enterprise application.NET offers several built-in solutions that can speed the development process.
- JEE: like .NET, JEE is very powerful and is much more flexible than most languages. Since it is based on Java programming languages, it benefits from strong support incoherence.
- Ruby on Rails: DMS development takes less time and effort thanks to Ruby on Rails several frameworks.
- PHP is one of the most used programming languages, it is primarily used to build a website, but it can also be used for the document management software development. Since these applications are necessary, PHP offers a lighter solution, pages can be loaded more quickly.
- Database system: there are several options for the database to use.
- Relational Database: we can opt for free databases like MySQL or proprietary databases like Oracle, MS SQL Server.
- NoSQL database: unlike a Relational database, NoSQL does not require a schema and a defined structure, which makes NoSQL databases more suitable for DMS development. DMS aims to store any file types, which aligns well with the NoSQL database. For NoSQL database, we can choose MongoDB which is a paper-oriented database making it the best choice for document management software development.
- OCR: during DMS development, it is also essential to choose the right OCR API. Depending on the programming language you can choose how to build the DMS software, as there can be several options for the OCR solution. You can, for instance, consider Asprise Java OCR.
The document management software development company can offer the standard solutions, however, each business is different and doesn’t handle recorded information the same way. This is why it is important to go for a custom solution development. Before addressing the document management software cost, let’s first see the modules that should be included in the DMS development.
WHAT MODULES ARE TYPICALLY INCLUDED IN THE ELECTRONIC DOCUMENT MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS?
We have already seen the critical features that a web-based document system should include. We are going to consider all of these modules while estimating the DMS software.
- Security module
- OCR module
- Document storage module
- Document upload and creation module: here we define what documents can be handled and how to upload them into the system: whether to create the file or document, upload the mobile and web file, scan, email upload, drag, and drop, etc.
- Record search and processing module
- User interface module
- The workflow of the document management system: each organization has its own workflow; workflow implies roles and authorization.
Document management software development follows the standard flow. This process includes:
- System requirement specification phase
- Design of the document flow system
- Design of the technical architecture
- Application deployment
DOCUMENT MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT COST AND TIMELINE
For this estimation, we will review the modules listed above. Let’s think of a web-based document management system that can be accessed on a mobile device as well. The estimation technique is the same as we have used for web-based application and mobile application development.
Let’s first define the IT specialists needed to build this document application. We recommend the use of a NoSQL database.
- A project manager
- Backend and Front-end developer
- QA engineer
- System Administrator
- NoSQL DBA
- Mobile developer: iOS and Android developers
We have seven modules with similar complexity level, the estimation of one of these modules will help us estimate the whole system, and we will extrapolate our estimation using the document workflow module.
In this module we are going to develop the following:
- Role management
- Workflow definition: creation, update, validation, sharing, archiving, etc.
- Document management process flow validation
Implementing this workflow module will cost:
- 1 back-end developer working full time for 2 months charging $25/hr = $8,000
- 1 front-end developer working full-time during 2 months charging $30/hr = $9,600
- 1 QA engineer working full-time during 1 month charging $20/hr = $3,200
- 1 Project manager who manages the project from design to project closure for 2 months charging $30/hr = $4,800
- 1 NoSQL DBA working full-time for one week charging $30/hr = $1,200
- 1 System administrator working full-time for one week charging $25/hr = $1,000
Additionally for the mobile application part:
- 1 iOS developer working full time for 1 month charging $35/hr = $4,800
- 1 Android developer working full-time for 1 month charging $35/hr = $4,960
The workflow management module will cost approximately $37,000
The overall document management software cost is approximately $220,000
TABLE OF APPROXIMATE COST
Specialist Number of Devs Months Rate Total Total Back-end Developer 2 6 25 48000 Front-end Developer 2 6 30 57600 iOS Developer 1 6 31 29760 Android Developer 1 6 30 28800 QA Engineer 2 3 20 19200 NoSQL DBA 1 1 30 4800 Project Manager 1 6 30 28800 System Administrator 1 1 25 4000
Now let’s put the document management software cost from this example in the table for a better explanation. We took the outsourcing rates that you can expect in referring to companies in Eastern and Central European countries such as Ukraine including Existek as the base of our research. The budget is calculated for the fully functional solution with approximately 6 modules included.
Engaging in the document management software development presents many advantages: it offers improved process flow, helps save time during research and assets processing, and allows an organization to be more productive. It is essential to tailor the flow of the system like any other application that is tied to the organization’s business. Every organization has its own document process flow, security policy and a way to interact with documents. Every step of the DMS software development process is crucial from designing the system requirement specification to the system deployment.
If you are looking for the document management software development company and want to know more about the document management system designing process and challenges, please read our case study about the development of the data migration module for the IntelliChief paperless process management solution. Existek is an offshore software development company with the long track record of creating document management and data recognition software for the great number of industries including healthcare and education. If you liked this article and would like to get the document management system cost estimates for your project or you would like to know how to implement the technology – contact us via the website form. We will be glad to help you out.